NCoverExplorer... The Debut
A little something I knocked together one weekend around a month ago, inspired by the NCoverBrowser tool by Jeff Key. The source code for Jeff's tool was unavailable mainly due to it's usage of a commercial control, so I rewrote it from scratch using the ICSharpCode TextEditor control instead.
What does it do? Once you have used NCover to produce an xml result of your coverage, you can open it in this tool to browse the source code with the coverage information highlighted. I tend to do this as part of a NAnt/NUnit task combination that automatically opens the results for me on a second screen. I find it much more useful having the coverage output side-by-side with the IDE while I add/modify the tests to increase coverage.
Why bother? I wanted to make some tweaks, such as:
- Performance (2 secs versus 4 mins for a 12MB file!);
- Remembering form state (size and position);
- Recent file menu;
- Improved highlighting for partial test coverage runs;
- Optional nesting of the get_ and set_ properties;
- Optional hiding of the visit count pane;
- Support any future NCover schema changes;
- Create an open source project;
Where do I get it? Good question - our next step is to figure out the hosting and distribution. A few ideas have been thrown in the pot and hopefully we can announce that shortly.
[Update] Download the latest NCoverExplorer versions from here..
Any suggestions for other features you would like to see are welcomed...